Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fast Food Wake-up Call

When I was pregnant, I ate out a lot! I didn't just eat typical fast food- I would pick up to go orders at normal restaurants as well. I didn't over eat- in fact my husband mentioned that I ate less while pregnant.
Boy were we wrong!!!! Two nights ago we started looking up nutritional information from many of our usual places. All I can say is WOW!
I was seriously over eating as far as calories were concerned! A favorite of our's when we were visiting in SC would be Zaxby's. We would make a point to eat it 2-3 times each visit because we don't have one near us in MD. My normal meal would be the Chicken Finger Plate, no slaw, extra fries, extra Zax Sauce. Can you guess how many calories that 1 meal is?
600?800?1000?!?
Try 1600+!!! (I'm including a screen shot at the bottom of this blog post)
My Husby and I almost had a heart attack when we read that! One small Zax Sauce alone has 180 calories in it!!! I would use 2! That one meal alone has more calories in it than I aim for in an entire day!
There is one other place I wanna mention. Checkers. For many months during my pregnancy and right after as well, Checkers offered 20 wings for 9.99. We would typically buy 2 (that's right 40 wings). Usually because we both wanted a different flavor (garlic parmesan for me and BBQ for him). I guess I always assumed and rationalized that since we were only eating wings it wasn't that bad. I mean it's just chicken, right? Wrong! The BBQ wings (20 pc) have 1560 calories!!!! You think that's bad? Those garlic parmesan wings I loved inhaling? One thousand nine hundred and twenty calories! 1-9-2-0! Combine the 2 together and that is 3500 calories!!
We looked up plenty of other restaurants but those were 2 I had to share. I encourage everyone to look up their favorite meals and read up on the nutritional information. I will think twice about fast food! I found 1 decent go to fast food meal. The Chickfila Chargrilled Chicken Garden Salad. Even with the Fat Free Honey Mustard Dressing, croutons, and sunflower seeds it is only 390 calories! (did you know the sinfully delicious Polynesian Sauce has 110 calories PER PACK!!!)
Another helpful tool, I'd like to encourage you to use is the My Fitness Pal app! It's an easy was to keep up with your calories throughout the day and it has thousands of fast food and restaurant meals listed. I use it now to help me see that the choices I make when going out to eat can be healthy- if I know what to order!
Until next post!

-with a little hope and a lot of prayer

Lizzy
*Sexy or Bust*

No comments:

Post a Comment