Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 42: The Biggest Loser made me cry (again!)

I was able to catch up on The Biggest Loser today (I missed last week's episode since we were out of town...) I love that show, even though it makes me feel so emotional. I cry consistently during every episode. Without fail. You may ask, why watch something that makes you cry? And I can only answer in this way: why not? I am okay with being in touch with my emotions. And the issues at hand, make me cry.

The contestants do not only battle their weight, but they battle numerous other obstacles. Some are parents that are not only struggling with their weight, but with their kids' weight. Either they passed their weight issues to their children or they are trying their best not too pass along bad habits. Which I can completely understand. I do not want my daughter (or any future children) to fight the fat. I want to instill in her great eating habits and I want for her to be physically active (dance, sports, etc). I do not want to be an overly obsessed weight monger, but I do want to keep an eye on her. I think she is perfect as is, but I am trying to learn ways to incorporate more veggies. She eats whole wheat, fruits, almonds, yogurts, and various other healthy snacks. But getting the veggies in has been tricky.

Another issue the contestants are dealing with is the loss of dreams, and/or the shame that comes with it. There are quite a few former athletes (Olympics and Olympic hopefuls) who gained tremendous weight. They feel ashamed when looking back at where they once were, and how they let themselves go. I, although not an Olympic athlete, find myself feeling the same. I was on a dance team, at one point a co-captain! I competed Nationally...and won. I hate thinking about how I let that go, and how by not staying active I allowed the weight to creep up on me.

Finally another issue they deal with constantly is the fact that they are away from their loved ones. Now, granted I am not alone, nor on a fitness ranch, but I definitely feel the distance. I am trying to use the time in between visits wisely. I want to be able to come home to SC and have my loved ones notice my hard work...

I could probably go on and on about how I relate to the contestants, but I will stop there. I hope everyone is having a great week, and if you are reading this please take the time to take the poll on the top right!


-with much hope and a lot of prayer

Lizzy
*Sexy or Bust*

No comments:

Post a Comment